Facing Steam Family Sharing issue? Don’t Worry, you are not alone. Community forums are almost filled with such Steam issues, where users mostly complain about some problems with their Family Library Sharing.
Where there is a problem there is a way, just like that, we have the 5 best fixes for your Steam Family Sharing Stopped Working Issue. In addition to this, we will be answering some most common questions that usually Steam users have.
As you know Family Library Sharing is an advanced feature offered to all Steam users. Using this feature you can share games with your members without merging their accounts and also keeping them separate.
But sometimes your Steam family share not working, usually, this occurs when there’s a connectivity error, software issues or any other factor. Keeping everything in mind we came up with this complete guide where we will be covering-
|Table Of Content-|
|What Causes Steam Library Sharing Stopped Working Issue?|
|5 Best Fixes For Steam Family Sharing Stopped Working Issue|
Let’s Get Started with the very first question that comes to mind with this issue-
What Causes Steam Library Sharing Stopped Working Issue?
The most common reasons for this issue are-
- Connectivity Error
- Software Issue
- Restricted Authorization Of Library
- Device Antivirus
- Winsock Resetting
- Installation File Location
That’s all about the cause. Now, have a look at our-
5 Best Fixes For Steam Family Sharing Stopped Working Issue:-
Fix 1: Shared Steam Library Re-authorizing:-
This is the most common reason where restricted authorization leads to such Steam Library Sharing not working issue.
So, the only thing you can do here to fix this issue is to re-authorize sharing the Steam Library. Here’s how you can do IT-
- Step 1: First, you have to visit your Device Management page.
- Step 2: Now here you have to select the “Manage Family Library Sharing” option.
- Step 3: Next, deauthorize the device creating this issue by simply unchecking the checkbox.
- Step 4: After this, it will open a request to the borrower (that’s you) to share. The requesting access then sends an authorization email.
Step 5: Check your mailbox for this authorization mail and simply click on the email link to authorize your computer and grant permission to access the library.
Note: A Steam library can only be used by one user at a time to play just one game at a time.
Fix 2: Run Your SFC Scan:-
It’s been observed that a corrupted or a missing system file can also lead to Steam shared games not working issue. What’s to do in this case? At this moment you can use your System File Checker to find this corrupted or missing file and replace it with a new one.
Here’s how you can do this-
- Step 1: First you have to press Windows + R from your keyboard. This will open the system Run dialog.
- Step 2: In this dialog just input cmd and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. You will see your Command Prompt start running as administrator.
Note- Have patience the process will take some time to get completed. After completion check back if the issue is resolved or not.
Fix 3: Disable Your Antivirus Software:-
It’s a very unique way but effective too if you are facing this Steam Family Sharing not working issue. Temporarily disable your antivirus software and after disabling make sure you verify the game files integrity.
Steps to this are listed below-
- Step 1: At first disable your Antivirus from the antivirus setting and then reboot your computer.
- Step 2: Give your system a few seconds to get stable after restarting then go to Steam Library. Here you have to select the game creating this issue.
- Step 3: Now, Right-click on the game file which will pop up a menu as you know, select the Properties option.
- Step 4: The most important step is here- Switch to the LOCAL FILES tab and from the menu popped simply choose VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE.
Using the Steam directory address you can also exclude the file from real-time scanning of antivirus. Address- C:\Program File\Steam\SteamApps\common.
Fix 4: Reset The Winsock:-
According to some users at gaming community forums, they usually face this family Steam Sharing not working issue when their Winsock catalog is not regularly updated. So, all you need to fix this issue is to try resetting your Winsock.
How to do this? To reset your Winsock just run the Command Prompt as administrator (we discussed this earlier) and then execute the command- “netshwinsock reset.”
Not done yet! After resetting the Winsock catalog you have to restart your computer. Now, check back if you can use the Family Library Sharing in Steam or not.
Fix 5: Change The Game Location:-
Well, this is the last method to fix this Steam Family Library Sharing not working issue. If all the four methods we listed above you need to relocate your game’s installation files.
Note- A backup of these files are mandatory because in this process there’s a high chance you will delete certain files.
Steps to change your game’s installation files location-
- Step 1: Close your Steam application even if running in the background.
- Step 2: Now, move into the Steam installation folder. You can also go with the default storage path- C:\Program Files\Steam.
- Step 3: From the folder, you have to delete all the files and folders, except these three- SteamApps, Userdata and Steam.exe.
- Step 4: Copy the left three and paste them to a new location. Then, simply launch your Steam application again and just log in with your account credentials.
Check back if the Steam Sharing Library not working issue is fixed or not.
We are sure that from the above 5 fixes one will definitely work.
Now, let’s have a look at some common questions that Steam users usually have with this Steam Family Sharing issue-
- Why is my Steam Family sharing not working anymore?
There could be many reasons for this, but usually, the most common reasons for this are-
- Connectivity Error- When there’s a connection issue with your current network or some sort of network modification needed.
- Software Issue- Here it could be either your Steam application or any other running on your device causing this error to occur.
- Steam can’t see family games, why?
Probably this because of the technical limitations. The limitations restrict some Steam games for family sharing. This sharing might require an additional third-party key or a subscription charge to connect accounts. This is the reason why steam family sharing not showing all games.
- Is Steam absolutely free of cost?
Yes, you can access Steam absolutely free of cost simply by downloading it from their official website after creating a Steam account.
- How to add your family members to Steam?
A bit tricky but simple where you first have to log in to your family member’s computer with your Steam account credentials. Then open the settings menu in the Steam application and click on the Family tab. Now, in the popped menu choose- authorize the computer.
This option is given to authorize any account that’s logged into the same computer.
- Can you create multiple Steam accounts using one email id?
Yes, you can create any number of Steam accounts using just one email id. But what is restricted is buying any stuff using the same card again and again from multiple accounts.
The advanced feature Family Library Sharing, allows family members to share games separately without merging their accounts. But sometimes you notice that your Steam Family Sharing stopped working. We hope that after going through this complete guide such issue will not pause your family gaming experience.
Our listed 5 methods are the best and effective fixes to your Steam family share not working issue. However, your feedback matters, so don’t forget to mention which one of the 5 helped you out.